• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 21, 2026
Anambra people magazine
  • Home
  • POLITICS
  • GENERAL
  • CRIME
  • ANAMBRA TV
  • EDUCATION
  • BUSINESS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EVENTS
  • ANAMBRA @30
  • DIASPORA
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • POLITICS
  • GENERAL
  • CRIME
  • ANAMBRA TV
  • EDUCATION
  • BUSINESS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EVENTS
  • ANAMBRA @30
  • DIASPORA
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Anambra people magazine
No Result
View All Result
Home POLITICS

Alleged N4 Billion Fraud: Court adjourns ex-Anambra governor Willie Obiano’s case indefinitely

Onyeka by Onyeka
November 25, 2025
in POLITICS
N4bn Theft: Obiano to Stand Trial as Court Rejects Request to Dismiss Charges
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Federal High Court, Abuja Division, on Tuesday, indefinitely adjourned the trial of a former Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano, over alleged ₦4 billion fraud.

 

This followed an application by the prosecuting agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that the matter be adjourned sine die (Indefinitely).

 

 

RelatedPosts

Group to partner Anambra Assembly to develop rent control, regulation bill

Anambra community mourns over murder of traditional title holder

ICPC targets 19 projects worth over N1bn in Anambra

When the case was called before Justice Mohammed Umar, the prosecuting counsel, S.O. Obila, informed the court that, the matter was coming up before the judge for the first time.

He, however, said that he had instruction from the lead prosecuting counsel to ask the court to adjourn the matter sine die.

 

“In the light of this, I have the instruction of the lead prosecuting counsel in this case, Mr Sylvanus Tahir, SAN to apply to the chief judge that since we had called nine witnesses before the previous judge, Justice Inyang Ekwo, we should wait for him to return and conclude the matter,” he said.

 

 

He therefore prayed the court to adjourn the matter “sine die.”

 

 

Responding, counsel to MrObiano, Onyeachi Ikpeazu, SAN, said that he was not opposing the application for adjournment since the prosecutor explained to him the difficulty his team had in getting the nine witnesses who had already testified.

 

The trial Judge, Justice Mohammed Umar, subsequently adjourned the matter sine die.

 

Recall that Mr Obiano, who was governor of Anambra State from March 2014 to March 2022, was arraigned by the EFCC on January 24, 2024, on a nine-count money laundering charge.

 

The anti-graft agency alleged that he misappropriated over ₦4 billion from the state’s security vote account, diverting funds into private entities and converting some into foreign currency.

 

 

In April 2024, Justice Ekwo refused to quash the case, ruling that the court had jurisdiction and that a prima facie case had been established against him.

 

Nine witnesses had so far testified in the trial, including a bureau de change (BDC) operator who claimed he received about ₦416 million over eight months from the state’s security vote account.

 

The case was stalled, in part, because of Justice Ekwo’s suspension by the National Judicial Council.

 

(NAN)

About Author

Onyeka

See author's posts

Previous Post

Ozigbo Writes 12-Point Letter to Ndigbo, Urges Them to Embrace Destiny

Next Post

Anambra Assembly Blocks Udemezue from budget presentation sitting

Onyeka

Onyeka

Next Post
Anambra Assembly Blocks Udemezue from budget presentation sitting

Anambra Assembly Blocks Udemezue from budget presentation sitting

Recent News

Group to partner Anambra Assembly to develop rent control, regulation bill

Group to partner Anambra Assembly to develop rent control, regulation bill

August 21, 2026
Anambra community mourns over murder of traditional title holder

Anambra community mourns over murder of traditional title holder

August 20, 2026
Three Attributes That Make Anambra An Important State In Nigeria

ICPC targets 19 projects worth over N1bn in Anambra

August 20, 2026
Breaking: LP candidate alleges financial inducement on him to step down

Breaking: LP candidate alleges financial inducement on him to step down

August 20, 2026

Most Read

No Content Available

Copyright © ANAMBRA PEOPLE MAGAZINE. All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • POLITICS
  • GENERAL
  • CRIME
  • ANAMBRA TV
  • EDUCATION
  • BUSINESS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • EVENTS
  • ANAMBRA @30
  • DIASPORA
  • Sports

© wordpress-1211428-4405999.cloudwaysapps.com