The Anambra State Police Command has arrested a police officer captured in a viral video threatening to shoot any civilian who video him while carrying out official duties.
The command identified the officer as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi, who is attached to the state command, and disclosed that disciplinary measures had already commenced against him.
In a statement issued on Thursday by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, the command said the officer was taken into custody shortly after the video surfaced online.
The footage, which went viral on social media on Wednesday, showed the officer angrily warning that he would “clear everybody down” if anyone attempted to record him while on duty.
He also threatened that any superior officer who authorised such recording would be responsible for burying those he intended to kill.
Isokpehi later uploaded another video apologising for his remarks, claiming they were made in frustration.
According to the police statement, immediate action was taken once the command became aware of the incident.
“Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command.
“In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer,” the statement read.
The command added that the officer had undergone a drug test as investigations continue into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process,” it stated.
While condemning the officer’s conduct, Commissioner Orutugu described the behaviour as contrary to the values and discipline expected of members of the Nigeria Police Force.
“The Commissioner of Police strongly condemns the conduct displayed by the officer in the video and reiterates that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement, or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence,” the statement read.
The command further assured residents and the general public that the disciplinary process would be transparent and that any officer found guilty would face appropriate punishment.
“The Anambra State Police Command further assures Ndi Anambra and the general public that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public and that any officer found culpable will face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the law and police regulations,” it said.
The statement also reminded officers and men of the command to remain professional and composed while performing their duties, especially in an era where their actions are constantly monitored by the public.
“The Command also uses this opportunity to remind officers and men of the Command to remain professional, emotionally balanced, and respectful while carrying out their lawful duties, especially in this era where actions and conduct are constantly subjected to public scrutiny,” it stated.
The police command commended members of the public, civil society organisations and social media users for drawing attention to the incident and encouraging accountability within the force.
“The Command appreciates members of the public, civil society groups, and social media users who continue to assist the Police with credible information capable of improving service delivery and accountability.
“Residents are encouraged to continue reporting incidents or behaviours capable of undermining public peace, safety, and confidence in security agencies,” the statement added.




